According to the Asthma and Allergy Foundation of America (AAFA), allergic disease (including asthma) is the fifth leading chronic disease in the United States for people of all ages. Affecting more than 30 percent of adults and 40 percent of children in the U.S. population, allergies have no known cure but can be managed with prevention and treatment. At Dragonfly 360 Yoga & Wellness, Dr. Melanie MacLaren can help you manage your allergies using her full-circle, holistic approach. Contact us at (317) 344-9840 to schedule an appointment with Dr. Melanie in Indianapolis — and start your path to healing today.
What is an Allergy?
An allergy is an inappropriate response by the immune system to a substance that normally would not be harmful. From an Oriental Medicine principle, an allergy is defined as a blockage or imbalance in the flow of the body.
A successful allergy treatment needs to address the underlying cause or imbalance. Possible causes of the imbalance may include:
- Stress (physical, mental, emotional)
- Poor diet leading to poor digestion
- Lack of sleep
- Imbalance of gut flora
- An event that may put your immune system into overdrive
Allergies Could Cause…
- Seasonal respiratory issues
- Chronic fatigue
- Joint pain
- Brain fog
- Skin problems
- Bad Breath
- Gas and bloating
- Sore throat
- Mood issues
- Loss of memory
- Sinus and lung conditions
Holistic Offerings for Allergies and Sensitivities
A gentle, non-invasive allergy treatment using a combination of Eastern acupressure techniques and nutritional science. This allergy treatment was discovered in 1980 by Dr. Devi Nambudripad. Read more about NAET®, or contact us at (317) 818-1800 to schedule an appointment today for this gentle allergy treatment.Learn More
Repair / Rebuild the Intestinal Tract
The intestinal tract is the largest organ in the immune system. Intestinal inflammation and weakness will increase absorption of toxic material into the blood and lymph streams, a condition referred to as leaky gut syndrome, which adversely affects every system of your body. Leaky gut may lead to intolerances (sensitivities) and allergies.Learn More
Probiotics Are a Good Start To Replenish the Good Bacteria
The term probiotic refers to the good bacteria that are similar to those normally found in the gut. The colon houses over 500 species of bacteria that provide many functions, including:
- Helping produce many vitamins, such as K, Biotin and most B-vitamins (anti-stress vitamins), including B-12
- Manufacturing lactase which helps digest dairy
- Improving digestive efficiency
- Encouraging proper bowel function
- Recycling & eliminating toxins
- Working to reduce cholesterol levels
- Strengthening the immune system and protecting areas from ‘bad’ bacteria
- Changing levels of acidity
- Producing antibiotic-like substances, which helps protect us from bacteria, viruses, and yeast
Ways to Detoxify
- Eat fewer pre-packaged meals and processed foods which often contain preservatives and chemical additives.
- Eat organic produce free of pesticides.
- Run your tap water through a reverse osmosis filter.
- Use natural cosmetics, creams, and cleansers that are free of harmful chemicals.
- Avoid artificial fragrances.
- Use natural cleaning products.
- Check your mental attitude.
Hydration and Healthy Diet
- Drink at least ½ your body weight in ounces of water each day.
- Eat 7-9 servings of fresh, organic fruits and vegetables of different colors to provide a variety of nutrients.
- Choose lean cuts of meat, fish, and poultry. Protein is needed to manufacture white blood cells (build more soldiers).
- Avoid fast food, sodas, sugar-laden foods, white bread, processed foods, artificial sweeteners, and mucus-forming foods such as wheat and dairy.
- Avoid the “Bad Fats” such as trans fats. They slow down the function of T-cells (Immune Soldiers).
- Consume healthy fats such as those found in Omega-3 fatty acids, olive oil, raw nuts, avocados, and olives.
- Remember to eat plenty of fiber.
Contact Dr. Melanie Today
At Dragonfly 360, Dr. Melanie offers naturopathic healing solutions and therapeutic yoga classes for a variety of health issues. If you live in Indianapolis, Carmel, or nearby areas, call (317) 344-9840 to schedule an appointment to better manage your endocrine system, adrenal fatigue, insulin resistance, thyroid imbalances, hormone imbalances, digestive problems, chronic fatigue, sleep issues, weight loss, allergies, and more. You deserve relief — Dr. Melanie can help you get on the path to healing.