The American Institute of Stress estimates that 75 – 90 percent of all visits to primary care physicians are for stress related problems. Many times this chronic stress leads to insomnia. Here are some tips to help you manage your stress and enjoy a better nights sleep.
1) No TV or other electronics for 1 hour before bed- instead read positive books
2) Make sure bedroom is dark to help your body make melatonin (sleep hormone). Don’t use bright clocks.
3) Lay on your right side- this makes the left nostril more dominant for breathing and supports your calming nervous system. If you are cold first lay on your left side as that supports more right-side nostril breathing and brings heat to the body.
4) Extended exhale breathing-focus on making your exhales longer than your inhales. This supports our parasympathetic nervous system (calming).
5) Body scan-Bring your awareness to your body starting at your feet and work your way up. Imagine your breath is moving in and out of this part sensing any tension and releasing the tension.
6) Lavender essential oil- apply lavender essential oil to the bottom of your feet or spritz on your pillow.
Dragonfly 360 Yoga & Wellness has many offerings to help you manage your stress including yoga, infrared sauna, aromatherapy, massage and meditation. Give us a call to find out more, 317-344-9840.