I love the colors of fall, the smells, the excitement as families come together. As I meditated on the leaves falling from the trees, I thought about how autumn is a season of release. What do I need to release? Definitely stress, worry, and over-commitment of my time. Easier said than done!
There are ways to soften the impact that especially chronic stress and worry have upon the body because sometimes life is hard. Regular detoxification is important for your physical, mental and emotional health.
The primary organ of detoxification is the liver. The function of the liver is to filter blood. In fact, 1/4 of total blood volume passes through the liver every minute. It also stores glucose for energy, breaks down steroid hormones, produces/secretes bile (fat digestion), and plays a major role in Phase I and II detoxification. Many medical practices around the world also believe that the liver is where anger is stored. For all these reasons, taking good care of your liver is a must.
Acupressure points that support the liver:
- Liver 3 – located at top of foot in the indentation between big toe and second toe
- Large Intestine 4 – located at fleshy point between thumb and index finger. Circle from right to left- clockwise. This point may also aid headaches and nausea.
Tips for detoxifying:
- Lemon water/ Lemon essential oil
- Healthy, clean diet: Proper diet = Proper care (Whole foods only- avoid processed foods).
- Drink lots of water
- Yoga and Meditation (for body and mind)
- Quiet time: Don’t underestimate the power of staring off into space! Your mind needs a rest sometimes. Instead of constant problem solving and planning, allow it to wander once in a while . Take an impromptu savasana during your lunch break at work.
- Remove chemicals from your cleaning and body care products: Use essential oils for cleaning and body care. I also recommend Beauty Counter for make-up products.
- Mental detox: Be mindful of negative thoughts.
- Mantras: Examples of mantras:
- “I am happy, healthy and whole.”
- “Sat Nam (Truth is my identity)”
- Detox bath: 1/2 cup baking soda and 1/2 cup epsom salts.
- Infrared Sauna: Get rid of toxins by sweating them out.
If you’d like something more intense, make an appointment to discuss whether a more dramatic detox would be appropriate.